Dynamic components help

Hi,

I have been trying to test the dynamic components function. I am setting the dynamic component with the on click command on sketchup to open a door, it works fine on sketchup with the interactive tool, but on vr sketch I cannot open the door. Do I have to use another command on sketchup? I understand from your video that you are using the teleport tool and when you reach the component youjust have to pull the trigger to open the door, is that right?

Best
Philippe

Hi,

Yes, that’s correct. Note that not all usages of on_click are supported: only the ones where you have directly ANIMATE("X", 0, 100) or a variant with "RotZ" or with another similar function like ANIMATESLOW. It doesn’t work if the variable being animated is not one of X, Y, Z, RotX, RotY or RotZ.

You have to use the teleport tool and move your hand over the door, really touching it (being just in front is not enough).

I hope this helps!
Armin

Hi Armin,

Ok. Now I understand. I used to put a name for the attribute, like ANIMATE(“Open”,0,90) instead of using directly X, Y, Z, RotX, RotY or RotZ, and then on the Rotation field I was using RotZ = Open.

I will give it a try. Thank you.

Best,
Philippe

Hi Armin,

Now it’s working perfectly!!! Thank you for your support. Is there a way to animate a movement like in sketchup? It is nice to be able to open or close a door manually, I really love it, but for some things, like a garage door opening for example, it would be nice to be able to automate the movement, as it works in sketchup.

Best,
Philippe

Right, you have a point. This was designed with small doors and drawers in mind. For garage doors you’d probably prefer the movement to be automated, and triggered at distance, too.

The animation speed could be extracted from the ANIMATExxx function call—it is ignored so far in VR Sketch. I’ll consider adding support for that. In the unreleased development version of VR Sketch, the user uses a custom tool instead of “teleport”, because we think it’s better to keep the functionality separate; it also happens to give us a nice place to add the animations-triggered-at-distance user interface.

Great idea. Can’t wait to play with it!

Hi,

I have another question. After opening a door using dynamic component, If I try to teleport through the opening of the door to the other room, the door seems to remain there transparent and then the teleport tool bounces as if the door had not opened. As a workaround I must place my hand towards the other room, through the transparent object and then I can use the teleport tool correctly. Is there a way to avoid this?

Best,
Philippe

It’s a bug. I ignored the problem when the goal was to open drawers, but indeed for opening doors it’s more noticeable. I’ll fix it in the next release (due to be out early August), or at least I’ll make the teleporter ignore moved objects completely, which should be enough (the teleport trajectory is computed used optimized data structures, and recomputing these data structures after every object we move might be too costly).

Here’s the release 7.0-beta, containing all this: VR Sketch 7.0 beta . You can try it out now if you have the time; this version will be officially released next week.

I had a good time testing the beta. I agree that it’s more clear to have the interact tool separately . It’s working incredibly well, there are no more invisible objects when opening doors and I LOVE the laser option to trigger animations at distance. Great job! I have to say that I have been testing several VR options for sketchup, and VR Sketch is definitely the one I like the most.

Sorry to hijack your topic Philamand, wanted to make sure I’m following arigo’s instructions properly.
These are the attributes I have set for my door. From my understanding of arigo’s comment, I am doing everything right, but it’s not working. Am I mistaken?

Hi Kevin!

You are using ANIMATE(“PORTE!DOOROPENING”…), which is not supported by VR Sketch so far. We only support ANIMATE(“X”…) or “Y” or “Z” or “RotX” or “RotY” or “RotZ”. For a door it is typically “RotZ”.

More recently we also added the ability to edit this directly in VR Sketch (with the interact tool’s context menu), so that if you’re making new animated objects you don’t have to use this “Component Attributes” dialog any longer. You still need to look into this dialog to understand why a pre-existing animation doesn’t work, but not to add or change animations in VR.

Thank you arigo! It took me a while but I got it working.

I have another question now,
I have made the following room:

My intention was for the walls to slide from 10 to 12, then 14, etc.
It works perfectly in Sketchup.
However in VR, they seem to only jump from 10 to 16 and back, as if only two positions were possible. Is that a restriction or am I doing something wrong?

Ah, yes, I see. It’s indeed the way it works in VR Sketch right now.

What occurred historically is that the early versions of dynamic components in VR Sketch didn’t react to clicks like SketchUp at all; instead, you had to reach out and drag the animated object with your hand, which is another form of interaction. You can still do that, but by now the “click-and-watch-animation-from-far-away” option is more common. The intermediate positions (12 and 14) have no meaning in the “drag-with-your-hand” option, so that was not implemented. But indeed it would make sense in the “click-and-watch-animation-from-far-away” option.

Added on the to-do list.

Done, will be part of the next release.