First Impressions & Suggestions

Hi, good suggestion!

I just realized: there is a quick hack that lets you do that already (on Windows; it does not work on Mac so far). Connect your Quest by cable and start SideQuest (it is the program you used during installation of VR Sketch on the Quest). Pick the icon that says “Run ADB commands” among the top-right icons, then “Custom command”. The command to run is:

forward tcp:17352 tcp:17352

You can later check if the “forward” is still running (it stops if you remove the cable, for example), by running the command

forward --list

As long as the forward is running, in SketchUp, choose “Send to VR on this PC” (not “on Oculus Quest”!) and it should work directly. It doesn’t actually start VR Sketch on the PC because it thinks there is already one—because of the forward command above. Later, if you remove the cable, then both sides will report you as disconnected but you can continue to view the model and use the teleporter.

1 Like

Long time no see :wink: We are a bit busy - however heavyly using VR Sketch for customer presentation. Not so much playing aroung. However - thanks for the hack I will try out.

There is another thing I struggled with. Under certain circumstances the pop-up window for starting the transfer to the quest does not appear.
In “work mode” I have my laptop in the base and a second screen connected, everything works fine. In presentation mode using only the laptop, it may happen that the window is not visible and I cannot “collect” it to the only remaining screen.
In presentation mode with a projector or tv-screen connected, randomly the pop-up window appears or not. Could it be a graphic resolution thing? I have a feeling that it comes down to 4K screens…

My quick hack then is three times tab and enter. However maybe it is interesting to know for you.

BR Volker

I suspect the problem comes from saving the dialog’s position on a multiple-screen configuration and then restoring the dialog at that same position on a single-screen configuration. Can you try https://vrsketch.eu/download/baroquesoftware_vrsketch_v11.9.4.rbz? I tried to make that dialog appear at a fixed position.

Note: this is a .rbz which you have to install inside SketchUp. It is very small because it is lacking the VR support for PC. It is only suitable if you are using VR on the Oculus Quest. If that’s a problem for you, you can re-install the older complete version after testing. We’re about to make the next release, so it would be nice if you can confirm if this “v11.9.4” fixes this problem or not.

Dear Arigo,
thanks for your quick support. Now it will work as long as I keep the windows collected at my primary screen. Closing and opening will result in the exact window position since last closing the application.
However, when moving the dialog to the second screen before closing sketchup and changing the creen setup, the dialog window will be lost until next usage in the intital setup. I have tested it for single screen mode and second screen (tv).

For your next release - it would be great if hide/unhide funktionality in scenes (or in general) could be implemented. Also animated dynamic components with relative values / formulas (e.g. for movement of drawers relative to the depth of the furniture) would be great. These are the most time consuming points when transferring our “standard” models into “VR-Sketch suitable” models.

BR Volker

Hi,

I think there is some confusion. In version 11.9.4, the window with the title “VR Sketch Remote” appears always at exactly the same hard-coded position; if you move it around, its new position is not saved. I can confirm it’s the way it works on PC. Are you sure you are testing 11.9.4? Please double-check in “Extensions -> VR Sketch -> About”. I have tested 11.9.4 on SketchUp 2017 and 2020 on PC.

We released version 12.0.0 with the same hard-coded position logic, so you can also try to upgrade to 12.0.0. We’ll consider your points for the next release, but with no guarantee about dynamic components: this requires reimplementing a complex spreadsheet-like system just to track a few positions…

Armin