Oculus Quest 2 - Localized Files

Hey, I am extremely excited to get to visit my sketchup files in VR on the quest 2 units. It works incredibly well for the most part.
My question is if it is possible to dump a sketchup file onto the quest 2 unit themselves. I tried putting the sketchup files onto the “cloud” but when I try to load them nothing happens. No loading progress bar or anything.
My way around it right now is to plug into quest 2 from my macbook pro, load the model, disconnect from the computer and I can walk around that way. It would be nice just to be able to have some of the files locally on the quest 2 unit instead without needing to load them from my computer. Is this possible?
Not even the demos will load.

Hi! Thanks for the feedback!

I’m not sure why your Quest fails to load the demo models. It could be that you are connected to a wi-fi which firewalls our cloud server; or maybe, if your PC is configured with some proxying for the web, then you’d need to configure the Quest in the same way. Try to use the built-in web browser inside the Quest to visit the page “https://vrsketch.eu”. Does it work?

Note that the Quest will cache the recently viewed cloud models, so it doesn’t need Internet connection to REload them… but of course it needs Internet connection the FIRST time.

Bingo, the firewall was the problem. That helps. Is it possible to increase the guardian size?

The guardian shown as a blue grid? Yes, you need to change that in your general Quest settings (it’s not related to VR Sketch). I could describe where it is on Quest 1, but Quest 2 might have some differences. Look at https://support.oculus.com/guardian/ or if, like me, you can’t stand videos when all you’re looking for is two lines of text, use a general Google.

Is it possible to open Trimble/Sketchup files uploaded locally on the Quest 2?
I would like to be able to use the headset without internet connection (i.e. outdoors)
Or if the quest 2 is not capable enough, to be able to cast the model from my MacBook Pro (via cable or wifi)?
Thank you in advance.

Hi ShaqReborn!

(As a side note: for the next time, please consider making a new topic rather than asking a different question on a very old topic.)

The Quest can be used alone to display cloud models. You’ll see that cloud models that were recently opened are shown with the text “(cached)”. The Quest actually caches in this way the 10 most recently opened cloud models, and doesn’t need internet in order to open them again. So if you need to make sure that you will be able to view a few specific models: when you have internet, upload these models to the cloud from Sketchup (“Upload to cloud” in the menu); make sure your Quest is connected to your VRSketch online account (https://vrsketch.eu/cloud.html button “Oculus Quest”); and open them in your Quest and check that it says “(cached)” afterwards.

If you have a MacBook laptop with you, then all this is not really needed, and you can use a USB cable (Oculus Link) to view and edit models from Sketchup running on the MacBook laptop, in the usual way. This should not require internet at all.

Sorry, answered too quickly. With a Mac you cannot use Oculus Link. The usual way to use VR Sketch with Sketchup on a Mac is to connect to the Quest via wifi. If you are in an isolated place, then you can probably configure your Mac to be a wifi hotspot, and then connect the Quest to that(*); or you can take with you a regular wifi box and use it even if it is not connected to the internet.

(*) for the story, on Windows I have done that even in places with a wifi, because the wifi quality was bad. You can configure your Windows machine both as a wifi hotspot for direct connection from the Quest and as a regular wifi client to get internet.

1 Like