Quest Pro Support

Figure someone is gonna ask this eventually.
Assuming it’s probably yes since they said the Pro is backwards compatible.
I don’t have one yet but I plan to get it.

I figure the higher dpi means lines will be more crisp and text more readable.
Color passthrough is also a new thing, and I suppose passthrough quality is generally improved so might be worth revisiting if they enabled an new AR abilities.
They have a new controller which is back compatible with the Quest 2, so need to get the new model in.
New controllers now have integrated tracking, so you don’t have to worry about tracking loss which I recall is the reason you did not want to do some sort of “toolbelt” feature.
Includes a new “pinch” sensor.
You can replace the wrist strap with a “stylus tip” and use the controller as a very fat pen, which might be good for some VR Sketch functions? Probably requires special effort to implement.
Also improved haptics, and VR sketch could definitely use those a bit.

Hi Christopher

I have ordered Quest Pro and we’ll see what we can do once it arrives. So far all the “pen” things we played with have been crazy shit because turns out for a pen to work you need resistance. I’m also quite excited about eye tracking and how we can use that, but really let’s see what’s possible since I don’t believe silicon valley announcement one bit without actually getting my hands on that.

1 Like

It looks like they also have a new eye & face tracking API which might be good for the coop modeling experience. Maybe eye tracking can be used for menu navigation? Probably want to wait to see how it works for other apps first.
They also added a “Scene Anchor” system a while back. Which you could perhaps use to allow users to snap objects to the floor or arrange them on a desk. And also useful for having models load in in the same relative position as the last time they were edited.
And later this year they will roll out a way to “share” spatial anchors, allowing multiple VR users in the same room to see the same model from consistent perspective.

Yes, it should be fun to play with.

I have a bit no idea how much of their features will be available to developers or only usable by meta software.

Best,
Maciej

1 Like

Hi Christopher

We have received our Meta Quest Pro and it works out of the box. The passthrough is actually quite nice (although not a full augmented reality by far). We have not played with new features yet, but we will try soon!

Best,
Maciej Fijalkowski

I think I remember you mentioning it before but I can’t find the post.
Do you able to use the native sketchup snap engine, or did you have to write a custom implementation?

Hi Christopher

This is a bit beyond the current thread, please start a new one or join us on discord.

Best,
Maciej

I’ll reply in a new post.

Hey Fijal,

After having gotten your new Pro in do you happen to see any improvement in lines not having as much movement/flicker? I have the quest 2 and a solid laptop power wise and no mater what I try I still see a distracting amount of movement in any variety of lines no matter the size of the model. I even notice them just standing in the warehouse so I assume that it’s headset hardware related. Curious if others see the same thing and if so if we expect any improvement with the latest headset hardware.

Thanks for all your work

We got the new Pro and it works out of the box, including the passthrough (which is indeed colorful and quite a bit less grainy than with the Quest 2—still not perfect but better).

The resolution is only slightly better, and it’s running the same GPU (just a bit faster), so I don’t expect a noticeable difference for lines just from the hardware. Or, if you’re running tethered, then no, it definitely changes nothing. It’s possible that the new renderer we are working on will change that, but no promise so far.

About the many other new features of the Quest Pro, yes, we’ve started looking at them. A few of them might be included in the next release.

Can you tell any difference from the pancake lense? Supposedly it’s supposed to be clearer and better for text than the old riged fresnel design.

I agree that it does feel a bit clearer for text. But overall the difference is rather minimal. One negative point for me is that there is some (minimal) distortion near the edges of the view which wasn’t there before. A positive point is the better-quality passthrough (not perfect by far, but not as bad as on Quest 2). Overall I’d say it’s a win.